Sunday 1 May 2011

A steadfast spirit

A steadfast spirit

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me – Psalm 51v10


There is so much packed in Psalm 52 that is I tried to really dissect it and take it apart and expound on it we would be here for ages. So I am only picking out a couple of highlights that really speak to me.

I like this picture of steadfastness. I think I like it because as I get older I discover that so much of my Christian life and walk has nothing to do with highs and lows and defeats and victories and successes and failures. They are going to happen. That is just a fact and the sooner we admit it the better off we are going to be.

What really counts is how we respond in all these situations. We can can get way up for the highs and way low for the lows.

However, after David's sin and failure one of his pleas was simply that God would allow him to stay steadfast no matter what came along. His desire was that God would re-establish a steadfast spirit in him. He simply wanted a steadfast spirit that would remain consistent no matter what came along.

That needs to be our goal as well. When we are coasting on a spiritual high we just stay steadfast. When times are not great we stay at it. When we fail we ask God for His forgiveness, we pick ourselves up by His grace, and we get back on the steadfast path.

We remain steadfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord. May God give us the strength to just stay at it.

No comments: