Thursday 12 May 2011

Night watches

When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches. - Psalm 63v6

I have mentioned here before that I am not much of a sleeper. I know what it is like to experience the night watches that David talk about here. I often lay asleep at night and often my mind goes wandering off in all directions. I have found through the years that the directions my mind wanders off into are not always pretty.

I might wander off into lustful thoughts. I might wander off into fearful thoughts. I might wander off into angry thoughts. I might wander off into scheming and planning. I might wander off into all that I have to do the next day.

Sadly, unless I force my thoughts in the right direction I rarely wander off into godly thoughts.

David had learned the lesson of remembering God in his own night watches. He knew that the only way to find peace in his own night watches was to remember God and meditate on Him.

Think of the blessedness of doing that. When sleep eludes us and other thoughts press on us. In the middle of the night, when it is quiet and peaceful and there is nothing to disturb us we can stop and mediate on the One who loved us enough to give us this beautiful world. We can consider the love shown by sending His son to die for us. We can stop and think about the many blessings He provide. We can rest in the fact that even in the hardest times we know that He understands and there by our sides.

Instead of letting our natural thought in those night watches, lets stop and consider our Lord and meditate on Him. 

No comments: