Friday 13 May 2011

At-one-ment

Iniquities prevail against me; As for our transgressions, You will provide atonement for them. - Psalm 65v3

This is one of those cases where I really like the good, old fashioned, KJV. (Which, by the way, is celebrating it's 400th anniversary this year.) Though the word 'atonement' fits my devotion I like this wording - 'Iniquities prevail against me: as for our transgressions, thou shalt purge them away.'

'Purge them away' really is a perfect picture of what atonement is. Atonement is the process by which a sinner has his sin debt with God satisfied. Atonement deals with satisfying, putting away, placating, Or, as the KJV puts it – a purging away.

After all these years I still like the simple explanation for atonement which I learned WAY back in Bible college. I learned then that atonement provided 'at-one-ment.' It is the process by which Christ makes us 'at one' with God. Christ's blood cleanses us, purges us, and satisfies the sin debt. The righteous wrath of God is placated by the gift of His son.

How is at-one-ment accomplished? 'What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus. What can make me whole again? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.'

Praise God for His atoning power!  

No comments: