Friday 20 May 2011

Only wonderful things

Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, Who only does wondrous things! - Psalm 72v18

I will be the first to admit that I don't always 'get' passages like this.

This has been a tough week for a lot of people. Close friends have had a very difficult ministry situation and are looking at a major change to their lives and something of an uncertain future. Another friend has been through a difficult situation involving a relationship. Yet another is facing a whole package of family struggles. Michelle is in another round of treatments and is starting to lose her hair. And so it goes on and on and on.

But the psalmist writes, 'Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, Who only does wondrous things?'

Only does wondrous things? I have to say, from my perspective, His workings don't always seem so wondrous. Sometimes life just stinks. Sometimes it seems like it just doesn't make any sense.

The problem is pretty simple. I am not God.

Joseph had the right perspective when his brothers came to him. They were afraid because they knew that they had plotted against him. Joseph had it right when he said 'You meant it for evil, but God meant it for good.' We are reminded in Romans 8 that 'all things work together for good, to those you love God and are the called according to His purpose.'

Everything God does is indeed full of wonder. They are right. They are magnificent. Because He is the only One who is God He is the only One who is going to ever 'get it.' Every time I see these kinds of things I try to go back to the end of Job. It is an awesome reminder of who God is and who we are.

If I don't get it, it is because I am missing His wonder. 

No comments: