Tuesday 17 May 2011

Hoping and hoping and hoping


But I will hope continually, And will praise You yet more and more. - Psalm 71v14

Hope is a tough thing sometimes. It can get so tough and confusing sometimes that we are tempted to give up on hope.

We all face times when it seems like there is no reason to hope. Trials and problems and opposition seem to just keep coming and coming.

I recently heard of a book title 'Swamplandia' written by Karen Russell. One quote from the book stuck out so much that he jotted it down. I think it is appropriate here. 'I didn’t realise that one tragedy can beget another, and another--bright-eyed disasters flooding out of a death hole like bats out of a cave.'

This is the reality. This is the way that life really plays out. Most folks reading this can really identify with the author's feelings.

I can't imagine a life like that without hope. It is easy, however, to put our hope in the wrong place. We hope in our own ability. We hope in our bank accounts. We hope in other people. We hope in our governments.

But all of these will fail.

In the midst of his troubles the psalmist the psalmist nailed it. While talking to the Lord he prayed 'I will hope continually, and will yet praise You more and more.'

As hard as it is to understand more troubles are the time for more hope and more praise. I have a hard time with this at the moment, but times of difficulty give us the opportunity to exercise our hope and our faith.

How far short I fall of this continual hope and this continual praise. Lord, I really do believe. Please help me with my unbelief. 

No comments: