Tuesday 3 May 2011

Evening, and morning, and at noon

Evening and morning and at noon I will pray, and cry aloud, And He shall hear my voice. - Psalm 55v17

While I find this passage terribly convicting I just have a simple little thought about it this morning. The problem is not with the verse, but with the challenge it presents me.

'Evening and morning and at noon will I pray, and cry aloud,' David wrote. That reminds me a lot of things like 'pray without ceasing' and 'men ought always to pray and not to faint' and things like that.

My problem? My prayer life is more like 'evening or morning or at noon will I pray, well if I think about it.' There are times when my prayer life is not too bad, but there are times when I am more like, 'men ought always to pray, but I too often faint.' 'Pray without ceasing' becomes 'pray when I think about it.' I do okay at home and in a routine, but take me out of that and this kind of praying is the thing I let slip.

That is terribly sad. I am challenged once again by David's words here. I am just grateful that we have a God who doesn't give up on us. I want to be that 'evening and morning and at noon' kind of pray-er. I want to he that 'pray without ceasing' and 'always praying' kind of guy.

Thanks for the gentle reminder Lord.

No comments: