Tuesday 11 August 2020

Study

Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive 
about words to no profit, to the ruin of the hearers. Be diligent to present 
yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, 
rightly dividing the word of truth. – 2 Timothy 2.14-15

Doing a work for God does not come naturally. We don’t just wake one as a worker
with a good reputation serving God. It doesn’t come by osmosis.
Instead we must be diligent, we must apply ourselves, we must study to prove
ourselves as workers approved by God for His work. The key evidence of this is that
we are able to rightly divide the word of truth.

Far too many believers, including myself at times, just seem to want to coast along
and let someone else do all the work and provide my spiritual growth and let be just
follow along in their wake.

That’s not going to work. I need to be like a student revising for an exam when that
exam makes all the difference in the world for my future. It should truly consume me
and all that I do.

Our day does not lend itself to concentrated study and effort and diligence. Even as I
sit here for a few minutes working on this devotion I know that if a FB notification
popped up I would be tempted to click on it (and probably would).
But that’s not how we are supposed to do it. We are to be diligently day by working to
prove ourselves faithful workers in God’s kingdom.

Growing in Christ takes work everyday
Reading your Bible
Learning to pray
Build godly habits
Seek help divine
Great things for God are truly done one step at a time

No comments: