Sunday 2 August 2020

Hold fast

Hold fast the pattern of sound words which you have heard from me, in faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. That good thing which was committed to you, keep by the Holy Spirit who dwells in us. – 2 Timothy 1.13-14

Hold fast to the pattern of sound teachings that you have heard Timothy. Don’t let them slip from your grasp. There were given to you in grace and love. Keep them in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Paul knew human nature. He knew that there was a tendency to let things slip away. Therefore it was important that Paul, along with us, know that we have to hold on to these things so that they don’t slip out of our lives.

These are shakeable days. The things we have counted on have let us down and  failed us. It’s hard to see anything that we can hold on to. Because of that I can too often hold fast to the wrong things. I hold on to my politics and my view and my ideas and my ambitions and when I do that I fail.

The only thing worthy holding fast to is the truths of the word of God. It is our only rock of stability in this crazy changing world.

No comments: