Friday 31 July 2020

Death is abolished

but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, to which I was appointed a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles. – 2 Timothy 1.10-11

Death is crushed to death. Life is mine to live. Won through your selfless love.

Thus writes Stuart Townend in the wonderful hymn ‘The Power of the Cross’

What and amazing truth. Death has no victory. The grave has no sting. The greatest  fear is death and now death has been defeated. If death cannot beat us, what can beat us?

Since death is beaten life and immortality are alive through the gospel. I have victory in Christ. I need not live with the foreboding sense that I am going to die. There is no sword of Damocles hanging over my head.

Living free of the fear of death gives so much great freedom to serve. May I live in that freedom and rest in the knowledge that death is crushed to death, death is abolished, death will not win in the end.

No comments: