Tuesday 28 July 2020

The spirit of fear

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.- 2 Timothy 1.7

The timing of this verse this year was amazing. I was preaching through 2 Timothy back in the beginning of March. I had preached on this verse just kind of casually, but when this virus got serious I went back and focused on this particular verse that last day we had church before we locked down for 14 weeks.

There was and there is a lot of fear about these days. It is pretty obvious why – these are scary times. Uncertainly is a source for fear. Uncertainty makes me afraid and anxious and nervous sometimes.

That spirit of fear though is never from God. Fear is either from our flesh, some comes from the world around us, and some obviously comes from Satan himself. When I am afraid I can be sure that I am not trusting God because if I really trusted Him there would be no room for fear. I would believe that He could handle it.

But God does gives is a spirit. It is a spirit of power, a spirit of love, and a spirit of a sound mind. Power, love, and a sound mind will carry us through any situation if we follow them instead of the spirit of fear.

It’s a truth I have had to claim to a lot. There is no fear of the virus in me. I am preoccupied with all the societal impact of the response tot e virus based on the world’s fear. We are backed with uncertainty and that rattles me.

Love, and power, and a reasonable sound mind will give strength to overcome those fears and God has already given me the gift of theses things.

No comments: