Sunday 12 July 2020

Give yourself

Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership. Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all. Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you. – 1 Timothy 4.13-16

Paul makes it clear to Timothy that serving God is not something we can do half-heartedly. In the middle of all these instructions about reading and exhorting and teaching and paying attention to his gift he tells Timothy to meditate on all these things and giving himself entirely to them.

There really is no room for half-hearted following in God’s work. We can’t be half way mixed up with the world and half with God’s service. All kind of things want our attention. We are tempted to focus on the news and politics and the economy and sports and business. They all may have their place, but we must give ourselves to God’s work.

As much as I may like some of those things, I can’t give myself over to them. We don’t have to be turned away from God’s purpose for us.

What obsesses me in this life? What drives me? What motivates me? If it is anything but the gospel and my service for God I am on the wrong track.

Paul was speaking to Timothy as a young pastor, but the principle is true or us all.. If we want to have any impact for Christ that motivation ought to be always before. It requires all our effort. If we prioritise God and His righteousness God will take care of the rest.

No comments: