Sunday 19 July 2020

Godliness with contentment

Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. - 1 Timothy 6:6-8

We brought nothing into this world. We can take nothing with us. We want all kinds of stuff we don’t need. We have always had a world of greed and today is no different. The difference is that in a lot of our cultures people have so much more than they have ever had that it makes us kind of feel left out if we don’t have it.

Contentment is a sure sign of our godliness. How? Because if we are not content we are not really trusting God. When we are not content we are saying that God does not know best about what we need. It says that I know best.

Contentment though means that I can take my eyes off of trying to get more. It means I don’t look at what others have and compare ourselves. It means that a lack of stuff does not keep me from serving God.

I brought nothing into the world. I am not going to take anything with me when I go. Especially at my age I need to stop worrying about what I can get. Instead if I have food and clothes I ought to be content and just keep on serving God.

No comments: