Wednesday 15 July 2020

Double honour

Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward. – 1 Timothy 5.17-18

This is kind of hard topic to write about as a pastor because it can seem maybe a little self serving, but it is the word of God and as such it is an important thing for us to remember.

Okay, lets get into this. We all know that we are equal in God’s sight. Pastors and elders and deacons and regular folk are all equally important to God’s work. But God does call some of us to lead and shepherd and teach and provide others with the tools to do God’s works.

Usually the person we are most familiar with is the pastor. Paul uses the phrase ‘especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.’ Pastors are human. They are not perfect. But they are due honour. They ought to be able to pay their bills from their teaching and preaching and pastoral care.

I am so blessed by the pastors I have sat under. They have all helped make me the man I am today. None of them were perfect, but they loved God and they loved me and were faithful to God’s word. Honour is not just making sure they could pay their bills, but they deserve my honour today. For some I honour their memory. For others I honour their lives, but I do choose to honour them.

Don’t forget your pastors. Prayer for them, support them, listen to them, and honour them.

No comments: