Friday 17 July 2020

Self control

Do not lay hands on anyone hastily, nor share in other people's sins; keep yourself pure. – 1 Timothy 5.22

I hate losing control, don’t you? I am sure Paul hated it and he wanted to warn Timothy of the same danger.

Don’t be quick to respond in anger to any other person.
Don’t lose control and join others in their sin
Don’t be tempted to compromise your purity.

The hard truth is that we still have to live in our flesh even after we are saved. Our tempers can all be tried and we can get pushed to the breaking point. I don’t know about anyone else here, but there have been numerous times when I have lost self-control and lashed out at someone needlessly. It does no good, it only hurts the situation and I end up having to apologise.

There have been times in the past when I have allowed peer pressure drag me into sin.

Sadly, I have at times struggled with impure thoughts.

All of these happen because of a loss of self control. The reason it can happen is because we can often forget to follow the flesh and not the Spirit. We don’t have the power to control our flesh, that why we have Christ living in us. Greater is He that is in me than He that is in the world.

But still, I must decide who I am going to follow. That’s why Paul reminds Timothy to keep his eyes out for areas when he might respond sinfully. Be on guard. Watch yourself. Walk after the Spirit.

No comments: