Saturday 4 July 2020

An example in word

Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity. – 1 Timothy 4.12

One of the very first lessons I did when we got to Ireland in 1995 was to spend Sunday School teaching this passage in Tallaght. I have loved this passage ever since. I had never worked specifically with youth in a church setting before and was looking for something to teach that would help in their lives. My original notes come from the 11th of April 1995.

I have always liked young people and have often felt like adults never gave them a shot. There can be a tendency to ignore them or even put them down because they are only kids. They’ve not been where we’ve been. They don’t know what we know. How can they really matter.

Paul knew that so he gives advice Timothy. “Don’t let then despise you because you are young.’ Instead, Paul says ‘be an example to the believers.’ The youth don’t have to be cast aside. They must be examples, and we can also take away the chance to  to despise us if we are examples as well.


The first kind of example to be considered it to be an example in our words.

Back in ‘95 I used the word ‘word’ to demonstrate how our words can be an example. I still like it.  Words must be

Wholesome – Words that build up
Ordered – Words that are controlled
Redeeming – Words that are beneficial
Demonstrative – Words that are demonstrated by actions

There is a lot about words we could cover here, but it would be far too long. Our words reveal what is in our hearts. What comes out of my mouth is a reflection of who I really am.

What do my words say about me?

No comments: