Tuesday 9 April 2019

With one mind and one mouth

That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. – Romans 15.6

Every time I come across this verse it is a time of great memories. The verse was written to encourage Christians to be unified in their efforts to glorify God as one. That has been the theme for a long time here as we enter the conclusion of the book of Romans.

Back toward the end of 1977 Mary and I were planning for our very small and inauspicious wedding. We wanted a theme verse for our future home. We wanted a goal that we could ever keep before us.

That we might with one mind and one mouth, with true unity of heart and word, seek to glorify God in our marriage.

I am sure that we have had plenty of times in our lives when we have fallen short of that goal – but it still is our desire and something we ought to strive for.

In a much bigger scope, the way that Paul intends this, we as the church our to have the same purpose in mind. The church ought to be reaching out and striving to glorify God in our heart and with our lips. As I interact with the world and with other beleivers do I do so with a desire to glorify God, or is my desire to win the argument or prove myself right or defend my side of the debate?

Is it our desire to do ALL we do to glorify God in unity?

No comments: