Monday 1 April 2019

A fool

Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. – 1 Corinthians 3.18

April Fools Day is one of those days I generally ignore. I have a few of those but this is one I don’t like. I have never enjoyed practical jokes. I think they can be painful and hurt people. The goal is to make people look like fools, and I don’t like that notion.

Spoil sport.

Okay, anyway, off my soapbox. Despite my desire to ignore the day I came across this passage and thought what a perfect day it would be to talk about it.

If anyone wants to be wise let him be a fool.

That’s another one of those inside out upside down aspects of the word of God. To become strong we must be weak. To be great we must be small. To be first we must be last.

And to be wise we must be fools.

Paul was adressing the conflict between the wisdom of the Greeks the preaching of the cross. The preaching of the cross is never going to make sense to the wisdom of the world. They are two opposite world views. Apart from the work of the Holy Spirit the cross will never make sense.

So Paul makes it clear that we should be happy to be fools for Christ. It makes no sense to most today, but one day every eye will see the true wisdom of the cross.

With God’s help may I use ‘April Fools Day’ to remind me of the wisdom of being a fool for Christ.

No comments: