Tuesday 23 April 2019

No division


Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? – 1 Corinthians 1.10-13

Early in Paul’s letter to the Corinthians Paul begs for unity in their church. Division must be something that people come by naturally because Paul addresses it over and over again.

I beg you, in the name of Jesus, not to be divided.

Already the church was dividing into following men. Some said they followed Paul. Some said they followed Apollos. Some said they followed Cephas. Some of the more ‘spiritual’ said they followed Christ - but these we all divisions. Christ is not divided. Paul and Apollos and Cephas did not die for anyone. No one was baptised in their names.

I wish the church had outgrown that. I understand that not everyone is going to the same church. Within the word of God there is room for styles or worship and music and types of ministry – but there must still be a basic unity.

The problem is those who cling on to a man. Sadly, there are and have been men who have encouraged that kind of following.

We are to be one church, one body, with one mind and one spirit rallying, not around men, but around the cross.

If we are divided we will fall. United we stand.

No comments: