Saturday 13 April 2019

Phoebe

I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also. – Romans 16.1-2

I somehow jumped ahead here is scheduling my devotions so I apologise for being out of sequence here.

Romans 16 is all about people. Some are good and some are bad, but I like it because we meet real people like you and me.

The first person we meet is a woman named Phebe. It is inteesting how often we find women in this list. Both men and women were and are vital to the church. Among the first people mentioned are Phoebe, Priscilla, and Mary.

It looks like Paul is introducing and commending Phoebe here. She served in the church in Cenchea. She helped Paul and many others and Paul asks the church at Rome to support her and help her in her ministry in the church there.

The church is a place which should be full of servants. How many of us could be called a ‘helper of many?’

No comments: