Thursday 6 September 2018

To do the will

Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work. Do you not say, “There are still four months and then comes the harvest’? Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest! – John 4.34-35

Sadly, I am one of those people who really loves food. I look forward to a good meal, and good treats, and good snacks, and good ice cream, and, well you get the idea. When you look at me you see how obvious this is. If there is a meal being served I am very, very, yeah very unlikely to skip it.

When Jesus came upon the disciples as He was talking to this woman the first thing they though about was whether or not He had eaten. ‘Have you had anything to eat?’
they asked.

Jesus’ reply was a great example and a lesson and a pattern for us – to parrowphrase He said ‘Physical food is not important right now, I am in the middle of doing God’s will and that is what important.’

I think we have a lot more here than whether or not doing God’s will or eating our food is more important. What we are seeing here is that the things of God are more important than worldly fleshly things. We need our ‘necessary food’ and such, but that is not our priority. We are told to seek God’s kingdom first and that if we do that we can trust God to take care of all the rest. God knows what I need, I need to pursue His will and His way and He will sort out the food part.

There is a great job to do – let’s not let our desires get in the way of doing His work.

No comments: