Tuesday 25 September 2018

That we may die with Him

Then Thomas, who is called the Twin, said to his fellow disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with Him.” – John 11.16

We criticise the disciples a lot. Not all of it is undeserved. They were thick at times. They didn’t always get it. They could be selfish and proud and arrogant.

But there are moments when we see hope. Jesus was bound and determined to go up to see Lazarus and the family. The disciples knew that Jesus was in dianger if they did.

I’ve heard a couple of explanations for why Thomas the Twin said what he said next, but I see no reason to think that he meant what he said.

‘Let us go with Jesus so that we may die with Him.’

I have read some who say that Thomas was being sarcastic, and maybe he was. Maybe there is something in the Greek that I don’t get, and if there is I apologise in advance for my error.

But I think there is a sign here that at least Thomas’ desire was right. Perhaps he did not want Jesus to go and die alone.

The thing is that all of them seemed committed to follow Jesus all the way to death – but we know what happened when the time actually came.

The right attitude and idea and commitment is only proven when put to the test. How do you and I do when our words are actualy put to the test?

No comments: