Sunday 9 September 2018

Food that endures

Jesus answered them and said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”
Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.” – John 6.26-29

Jesus knew the hearts of the people. He knew He was drawing huge crowds, but He also knew that many of them were coming, not because they believed in the things He was preaching, but because they had been fed when He multiplied the bread and fishes. They were following Him for the free meal.

Jesus risked losing His crowd when He confronted them the facts. He told them their motivation was all wrong. He told them they needed to follow Him, not because od what they could get here and now, but for what mattered for eternity.

‘How do we do the works of God’ they asked.

‘Believe in me, the One the father sent.’

That’s a wonderful answer. All we can do it to believe in Him. I donn’t think it only for salvation. Our daily spiritual bread is to believe Him to save us, but also to believe in Him to care for us day by day. When I am not believing Him today I am missing the bread that endures in my life. I believe Him for eternity, but I believe Him for eternity as well.

No comments: