Thursday 20 September 2018

Once I was blind

He answered and said, “Whether He is a sinner or not I do not know. One thing I know: that though I was blind, now I see.” – John 9.25

Amongst Jesus’many headings healing we have this account of Jesus healing a blind man. When he met the man He pointed out that this man was not blind because of anybody’s sin. The He spat on the ground, rolled the the spit into the dirt to make a ball of clay, put it on the man’s eyes, sent him to wash in a pool, and healed His blindness.

The Pharisees were always looking for a chance to find some way to attack Jesus. They still thought that Jesus was some kind of charlatan or magician or something. So they went to interview the man about what had happened. ‘Is the man a prophet? He is something else? Is He commiting sin? What is going on?’

The simplicity of the man’s answer blesses me – ‘Listen, I don’t know about all your questions, but I do know this, once I was blind but now I can see.’

That was the perfect answer. He didn’t have to know everything, all he knew is what Jesus had done for him and that was enough to give an answer. His testimony of what Jesus had done for Him was enough.

We often worry about what we are going to say when we try to witness to people. We are worried about answering their theological questions. It is true that we need to read and study our Bibles to learn more about our faith, but our most powerful tool is to tell people what Jesus has done for us. It is our personal experience with Him that will make the difference.

So study and read and know the word of God, but when you have the chance just tell others what Jesus has done for you.

No comments: