Tuesday 7 March 2017

You are good

You have dealt well with Your servant,
O Lord, according to Your word.
Teach me good judgement and knowledge,
For I believe Your commandments.
Before I was afflicted I went astray,
But now I keep Your word.
You are good, and do good;
Teach me Your statutes. – Psalm 119.65-68

‘God is good, every day, all the time.’

If we could ever grasp that one key truth would truly change our lives if we would only apply it.

Why?

Because if I really believed that God is good I would trust Him with the unknown. I would trust Him when hard times come my way. I would trust Him not matter how dark the day. I would trust Him because I would know that He is good and will do good.

Is it such a simple truth – why can’t we get it?

To be brutally honest it is because we think we are better judges of goodness than God is.

Our children and grandchildren don’t always get it when we know what is best for them. Even though the street looks like a nice place to play we know it is not a good place – they don’t. They think we are unreasonable to say ‘don’t play in the street.’ But our way is the good way. We are good to them and we are doing good.

And it is the same way with God. His ways are not our ways so sometimes we are not going to perceive His goodness as goodness.

But the Lord is good.
He is a stronghold in the day of trouble.
He knows those who trust Him.


God is indeed good, every day, all the time. Lord, remind me to rest in your goodness when things get anxious. 

No comments: