Friday 17 March 2017

Ego Patrocius peccator



For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God – Romans 3.23
To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, - Ephesians 3:8

‘My name is Patrick... I am a sinner, a simple country person, and the least of all believers. I am looked down upon by many.

I couldn’t help myself. I had to do a St Patrick's Day devotion repeat today. I think I did one the last couple of years, but today is a good chance to look at the testimony of our brother in Christ.

Reading The Confession is a great challenge for believers today.

Patrick believed that man is a SINNER who violates God’s law and justly deserves His displeasure:
Patrick believed that it is THROUGH FAITH IN CHRIST that we are saved:
Patrick believed we are saved by God’s GRACE, not by ourselves:
Patrick affirms the second coming of Christ to judge the world in righteousness:

Patrick was a man much like us. He felt like he was called ‘to the uttermost parts of the earth’ because at that time there weren’t many places more uttermost than Ireland. He was deeply burdened to the Irish people and their need of the gospel. He was looking for the ‘soon return of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.’

Patrick was a saint. He didn’t need a special designation. He was a saint just like all Christians are saints – sanctified and set apart by our salvation.

So let us as Christians enjoy a day set apart to honour our brother in Christ and let us do so in a way that honours the Christ who saved him and us.

Ego Rogerius peccator – My name is Roger, I am a sinner - what a great reminder.

No comments: