Sunday 5 March 2017

I will remember Your goodness in the night

I remember Your name in the night, O Lord,
And I keep Your law.
This has become mine,
Because I kept Your precepts. – Psalm 119.55-56

Nights are a terrible time for me. Nights are meant for sleeping and I don’t sleep very well. I never have. Night is the time when all the things I can put aside during the day come rolling back into my head.

Judging from a few things David said about sleep I think he had a similar problem, only he had just cause. He faced real enemies that were a real threat to his life. For anyone who has problems with their nights this is a great reminder and indeed a great challenge.

David said “I will remember Your name in the night…’ He goes on to talk how that leads him to obey the law of the Lord the rest of the time.

But what sticks out to me here is remembering in those night ours that God is good. Most of what I deal with at night could be sorted if I could just focus on the goodness of God at 2.48 or 3.27 or 4.12 or whatever time is on that dreadful clock.

I have no doubt that, if not tonight, some night soon, I am going to need the reminder that God is good. May the Holy Spirit bring that to mind in those moments.

No comments: