Saturday 4 March 2017

An answer

Let Your mercies come also to me, O Lord—
Your salvation according to Your word.
So shall I have an answer for him who reproaches me,
For I trust in Your word.
And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth,
For I have hoped in Your ordinances. – Psalm 119.41-43

The world is looking for answers. The problem is that it is looking for answers in all the wrong places. The change of pace in what the world is seeking has been amazing. Folks are looking to sex and substances and finances and jobs and relationships and self-gratification and at the end of the day all of those things come up empty.

I have a friend who is aiming in the right direction. He told me recently ‘I am looking for ‘the way’ and the _____ church is not showing it to me.’

But we have the answer in God’s word. When we are reproached or mocked or criticised for our faith it can be hard sometimes to explain it to others. We have the answer – they need the answer – and God will give it to us. The New Testament tells us that we are to study and prepare so that we can give an answer of the hope that is in us.

The world may not like our answer. They may very well mock it and make fun of it and look at us like we are crazy. But we have an answer for them. By the grace of God may we have the chance to share it.

No comments: