Tuesday 21 March 2017

My tongue shall speak

My tongue shall speak of Your word,
For all Your commandments are righteousness. – Psalm 119.172

I am one of those irritating people who likes to talk. The topic makes no difference, if I have the slightest knowledge about it I will join in the conversation. Actually sometimes I don’t even have to know anything to jump it.

I like to talks sports and politics and the weather and just about anything else. I am not even afraid to express opposing viewpoints and some say I even relish those conversations more than others.

But then, what happens when it is time to talk about the Lord? I can speak with what sounds like authority even when I don’t really know what I talking about in most situations. But, when it comes to the Lord my words get tangled and my thoughts get disoriented and I stammer and stutter. It is not too bad when I am preaching or teaching, but one on one is a whole different story.

This is quite a challenge to me. To speak of God’s word requires a measure of boldness. Even Paul asked for prayer that he would have the boldness to speak of the Lord. But if we don’t know it nobody will. Of all the ways God could have chosen to get His word out He chose us. We must be the ones to speak of God’s word because people are not just going to come across it.


Lord, amongst the many things my tongue will speak of today, may Your word be predominate. 

No comments: