Thursday 30 October 2014

His brethren

" For both He who sanctifies and those who are being sanctified are all of one, for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren, saying:
“I will declare Your name to My brethren;
In the midst of the assembly I will sing praise to You.”
And again:
“I will put My trust in Him.” And again:
“Here am I and the children whom God has given Me.”" - Hebrews 2:11-13

Both He who sanctifies and those who are sanctified are all of one. Because of that He is not ashamed to call us His brothers.

Wait just a second. Did you see what that says? Jesus, the Creator and Upholder of the universe, God Himself, is not ashamed to call me his brother.

I can hardly imagine Jesus saying ‘hi, I am Jesus, and this is my brother Roger.’

But that what this verse says – Jesus us not ashamed to call be Him brother. The sanctifier, Jesus, calls me, a sanctified sinner, His brother.

That is such great comfort and encouragement and a blessing. I am fortunate that my own brothers do nothing to make me ashamed of them. It is easy to be proud of my brothers. 

But me as Jesus' brother?  I would do plenty to embarrass Christ.

But no matter what is not ashamed of me. He stands right beside me, puts His arm around me, and says ‘this is my brother.’

Praise God for my brother. I can’t do much on my own, but my brother and I can do anything.


No comments: