Friday 10 October 2014

Dumb fights

But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless. Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition, knowing that such a person is warped and sinning, being self-condemned.  – Titus 3.9-11

It looks like Timothy was not the only young preacher to have a problem with get involved in stupid fights. 

Here are those oft repeated words again

Avoid foolish disputes
Avoid geneologies 
Avoid contentions
Avoifd striving about the law

I don't know what the draw is. I don't know why it is so tempting to get into a fight over the most petty things. I know that I really like this kind of thing and I like it to the point where I can become consumed with it. I don't know how many wasted hours I spent on stupid arguments about the dumbest stuff on a "Christian' discussion board or arguing with my brethren before I finally had enough. 

Why is it so bad? It really is a waste of time to argue about stuff that doesn't have an answer. Fights have been going on for centuries. Who are we to think that we are going to come up with an answer?  Iron does indeed sharpen iron - but silly squabbles don't do anything good. 

There are so many non-essentials that we make inot essentials just to get into a good fight. 

Fight the good fight - of course - but don't fight over the stupid stuff. 

No comments: