Sunday 18 May 2014

Why rejoice?

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. – Philippians 4.4-5

Rejoice in the Lord always. Now that can be a tough challenge, can't it? I don't always feel like rejoicing. In fact, for several weeks now I have been battling a real spiritual funk.  Its not wrecking or debilitating or anything like that. I just things are not quite right. I find that when this happens it is because instead of choosing to rejoice I choose to focus on the negative and discouraging and the petty things around me.

When on those rare occasions I am able to rejoice in hard times it does something. The moderate or gentle or even handed way I deal with good times and bad shows the world around me that I really am in fellowship with my God. My constant rejoicing, no matter what comes my way, is the best testimony that my God is real and that I trust Him.

When I read passages like this I get so convicted because my rejoicing in far too often based not on who God is, but on how I feel or what I see. I tell people that I am trusting God for my eternity.What does it say then when I can't trust Him day by day by day in this world?


Lord, help me to 'rejoice in the Lord always' no matter what so that other will know that You are at hand, 

No comments: