Thursday 15 May 2014

Citizenship

For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ,  - Philippians 3.20

It is easy to get caught up with our earthly citizenship. In some countries waving a flag and singing patriotic songs is almost required to be seen as a good Christian. Churches in some countries have patriotic Sundays where flags are waved and stirring nationalistic songs are incorporated into the service. Everybody feels good and tears are shed and all the nation's ills and sins are laid aside as the church invokes God's blessing on this or that country.

It is true that Christians ought to be grateful for the land where God has placed them. We ought to be glad that God has given us a chance to serve Him. We ought to obey the law and honour and pray for our leaders. We ought to be good citizens and vote and where we have to opportunity to we ought to take part in choosing those leaders.

The issue comes though when our nationalism or our patriotism gets in the way of our service for Christ.

We are all earthly citizens of some place. I am fortunate enough to have two earthly citizenships. I love both countries and am glad I am a citizen of both. I try to take my responsibility of citizenship seriously.

But my ultimate citizenship is in heaven.

And that is all that really matters. Our heavenly citizenship transcends all the rest.

Once we learn to grasp this our national differences lose their significance. Our citizenship of the Kingdom of Heaven takes priority over all the rest. That means that we are willing to go where God wants us to go and do what He wants us to do. It means we don't get caught up in national or cultural differences. We realise that our true countrymen are our fellow citizens of heaven.

That means that my primary goals are to honour my King, to serve my fellow citizens, and to strive to draw others into the kingdom. 

Where is my focus?


No comments: