Thursday 29 May 2014

By Him and in Him

For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. – Colossians 1.16-17

Sometimes I forget who is in charge. When I worry about the past, or the present, or the future I seem to forget who is really in charge. When I do that this passage should come to mind. It makes the point, as clear as can be, that never has been up to me, it isn't me, and it never will be me.

When I read this I think about Job. After all of his complaining and worrying and fretting and wondering about what was going on in his life and why it was going on God came to him and spoke to him.

'Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said: "Who is this who darkens counsel By words without knowledge? Now prepare yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer Me. "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements? Surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it?'

God’s questions and clear, direct, and to the point.

When we complain and whinge about our poor lot in life we do it because we think we have it all figured out.

But we don't have it figured out. I don't know how God made the animals. I don’t know how He designed the molecules. When I look at His creation I don’t have a clue how it all works.

I don’t know how He holds it all together and keeps it all running.

But He does.


And if He can do all that doesn’t it make sense that He can take care of me and my needs and situations? 

No comments: