Monday 26 May 2014

Fixin' to burst

Indeed I have all and abound. I am full, having received from Epaphroditus the things sent from you, a sweet-smelling aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well pleasing to God. And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4.18-19

These three words are probably the greatest I can think of the describe what it means to really truly be content, 'I am full.'

I know the feeling. I love a good meal - a lot. When I think of a big meal I think of an Irish fry. Eggs, sausages, rashers, beans, mushrooms, black and white pudding, grilled tomatoes, served up with tea and toast are just an amazing breakfast. When I finish off one of those bad boys I am certainly full. I can't take any more.

That is the word Paul used here for 'full.' He was stuffed, crammed full, and satisfied. As we might have said in Alabama he was 'fixing to burst.'

But Paul’s fullness was not about having food or any kind of physical fullness. He was fixing to burst spiritually because of what the Philippians had done in caring for him. What they did was not just a blessing to Paul, but it pleased God as a ‘sweet smelling savour and an acceptable sacrifice.’

And even the givers benefited.  Paul told them that because of their giving God would provide all their needs according to all of His riches in glory.

So when they gave, and when we give, three things are done.

The recipient is blessed by our giving
God is pleased
God will meet all of our needs


How can we go wrong by giving? Everyone wins. It is a win-win-win situation. May God help each of us to learn the blessings of giving for everyone involved. 

No comments: