Tuesday 27 May 2014

Four things to pray for

that you worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; - Colossians 1.10

Paul had a simply prayer for his dear friends in Colosse. The things he prayed for are the kind of things that we should think about ourselves and ought to pray for each other. They are similar to several other introductions to the epistles. The very fact that Paul prayed for these churches and let them know what he prayed is a lesson in how important the traits he prays for are.

There are four specific things Paul desired for his friends. 

That they would walk worthy of the Lord
That they would be fully pleasing to Him
That they would be fruitful in every good work
That they would be increasing in the knowledge of God

This is a pretty simple list, but each point would assist us in our daily walk for the Lord. It is one of those lists that we would do well to use as a self-examination  of daily living. 

The first goal is one we have heard before - to walk worthy of the Lord. We looked at this back in Ephesians, but it is good to examine our daily walk to see if it is worthy of the One who saved us. Are my attitudes and behaviour worthy examples of my Saviour's impact on me?

As I strive to walk a worthy life does my life please Him? Too often I strive to please me instead of Him. When I do that I always hurt the cause of Christ. 

Am I fruitful? Does my life reflect the fruit of the spirit to those around me. Am I loving and joyful and peaceful and patient and all the rest? 

And am I increasing in the knowledge of the Lord? None of us are going to be perfect. We are all going to fail at times. But I have to look at my life and ask myself if my daily life reflects a growing knowledge of God and what He wants me to be. 

While we pray these things for each other. lets pray that God would do the same work in our own lives. 

No comments: