Wednesday 14 May 2014

Pressing on

Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 3.13-14

I hope that none of us are foolish enough to ever think that we have arrived spiritually. If we ever get to the point where we think we have arrived it is sure evidence that we have failed.

I am glad to know that even the great apostle Paul never got there. He was never where he wanted to be. He always fell short of the mark.

I certainly know that is true in my life. In fact I can get prety discouraged sometimes that I fall so far short of the mark. I can even feel like I am going backward instead of forward. I certainly am not there - no where close in fact.

But Paul was wise enough to not give up.

He chose to forget all the things of the past
He chose to reach forward to the things ahead
He chose to keep pressing on towar the goal to achieve the prize of the call of God

That's the key attitude. Even when we feel like we are slipping back we just keep reaching out and pressing on. We all have a race to run. As we run our race we reach out and press on and we keep looking unto Jesus, the Author and the Finisher of our faith.

It is not always going to be easy. We are going to lose sight of the goal at times. We are going to want to quit.

But our task is simply to press on, reach out to the prize, and look to the One waiting for us at the finish line

No comments: