Wednesday 28 May 2014

Delivered

He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, - Colossians 1.13

Paul uses a lot of word pictures to illustrate salvation. The two words here are 'delivered' and 'conveyed.' 

'Delivered' just what it sounds like. We have been carried from one kingdom to another.

"Conveyed' or 'translated' is to be transferred or removed. 

I hope this is not an cheapening of the meaning. I certainly don't intend that, but please bear with me. 

Mary and I are watching Star Trek together. We started out with the series 'Enterprise' and watched "The Original Series' and now we are on season 4 of 'The Next Generation.' 

One of my favourite things are the transporters. In just a second you can be transported from the Enterprise to a planet or another ship, or even someplace else on the Enterprise. I think of all the Star Trek devices the one I would like the most is the transporter, though the food replicator sounds pretty nice as well. 

But we digress. 

A lot of times we find the crew in big trouble on a planet or another ship. Then, just in the nick of time, the Enterprise will beam them out of the trouble and back on to the ship. In just an instant the crew were transported from danger to deliverance.

And that is the point here. When Christ delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of light He transported us from sure destruction to sure and eternal safety. We are now in His kingdom. From the clutches of Satan we have been transported to the arms of Jesus. 

When I think about where I was and where I am...well, its more than I could have hoped for when I called on Him. 

Praise God for His deliverance! 

No comments: