Thursday 8 May 2014

The spirit of Epaphroditus

Yet I considered it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, fellow worker, and fellow soldier, but your messenger and the one who ministered to my need; since he was longing for you all, and was distressed because you had heard that he was sick. For indeed he was sick almost unto death; but God had mercy on him, and not only on him but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow.  – Philippians 2.25-27

Epaphroditus was another member of Paul’s team. He was another dedicated believer. I like this little passage because it gives us insight into a real heart for God and concern for other.

This first thing to note is the description of Epaphroditus –

My brother
My fellow worker
My fellow soldier
You messenger
The one who ministered to my needs

And then we see his concern. Though he was deathly ill he was more concerned that the Philippian Christians were worried about him. I know when I am sick the only I really care about is me and my illness. I want people to worry about me, but Epaphroditus didn't want them to fret and he really wanted to go see the Philippian believers.

That’s the kind of believer I want to be – a brother, a soldier, a worker, a caregiver, and someone who is focused.


The church could sure use a few more Epaphrodituses – a Roger could use a good dose of Epaphroditus. 

No comments: