Thursday 8 April 2021

Twisting scripture

 

as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures. – 2 Peter 3.16

 

One of the great problems with the false teachers is that they do try to use the Bible. The problem is that they twist the scriptures to suit their agenda.

 

Preachers do this when they have something in mind that they want to preach on or an agenda they want to push so they set out to find a proof text.

 

I have come across a lot of scripture twisting in my life. I hate to admit but I am afraid looking back that I too may have been guilty of using scripture to support my own point of view or to make a point. We do that when we purposefully adapt is to our agenda or when we grab it and take it out of context.

 

This is truly heinous because it uses God’s word deceitfully for our own purpose. People will listen to God’s word so if we find things to try and price what we are trying to push we can get people.

 

I’ve heard preachers use an out of context verse to support their opinion or their pet issue to get people to go agree with them. 

 

I don’t think there is a worse thing a preacher can do. When it happens God’s word is corrupted and we give a false view of Him. We think we benefit us but the cause of Christ is always damaged.

No comments: