Sunday 14 February 2021

Don't abuse liberty

 

Therefore submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord’s sake, whether to the king as supreme, or to governors, as to those who are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and for the praise of those who do good. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men— as free, yet not using liberty as a cloak for vice, but as bondservants of God. Honor all people. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king. – 1 Peter 2.13-17

 

0nd of the great blessings we have in Christ is our liberty. No longer bound hungry law we are now free to serve in liberty. We must live Holy lives and there are several ways we are instructed to do that in the Bible.

 

But other than clear Bible teaching we are free from rules and regulations. If the Bible doesn’t say it or at least imply it we are free to make our own choices. Paul uses the illustration of foods sacrificed to idols. He also mentions certain foods or observing certain days.

 

In these areas and others we have the liberty to choose for ourselves what we are going to do.

 

There is though another factor to consider. We need to consider how our choices are going to affect others. We can’t just think about us. My liberty really is not worth causing my brother to stumble. That doesn’t mean I have to bend to every whim of some persnickety brother who is looking 6o be offended. It means that I need to be aware of what truly offends and then choose not to flaunt by liberty.

 

For example, l like black pudding. Some brethren thank it is a sin to eat it because it is made from blood. I have the liberty to eat it, but if I know it offends him and I am eating breakfast with him I just skip it that morning.

 

It’s no big deal. If my choice is going to cause a brother to sin, I avoid it. It is not worth hurting my brother for a bit of pudding.

No comments: