Tuesday 23 June 2020

Pray for authorities

Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 1 Timothy 2:1-2

After Paul’s introductory comments to Timothy he gets into the meet of his letter with these words – ‘I exhort you first of all to pray for all men.’ He doesn’t just say pray – he says to seek God and talk to Him and intercede for and give thanks for all men. and for all those in authority.

The reason for this is that we may lead and quiet and peaceable life in godliness and reverence.

I think I have had a misconception about this. I think I have been self focused here that my prayer would be for a quiet and peaceable life. Now I think I am wrong. I pray so that I can avoid conflict and battles and silly arguments and THAT is what leads to a quiet and peaceable life. My quiet and peaceable life comes from knowing that I have done what I can do – I have prayed for all men and for all those in authority.

Our quiet and peaceable life does not depend on circumstances. It comes from a firm reliance and quiet rest that comes from obeying His word and trusting Him. For me to be able to live at peace in this world because once I have prayed for those in authority that’s all I can really do for them.

If I’ve truly done that I can live quietly and at peace no matter what the circumstances.

No comments: