Saturday 13 June 2020

Don't be weary

But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good. - 2 Thessalonians 3:13

Boy, is this a passage I have needed to hear over and over again the last twenty-five years. Over and over again I have just felt like giving up after long dry spells or specific hard events.

Back in 2002 our church had a major setback. So bad in fact that everyone not in our family left the church. It had taken years to get where we were and I had had enough. I went for a walk on the canal at sat down on a bench way up at Tandy Bridge to have a chat with God.

I was weary. I was frustrated. I was angry. I was ready to get on the plane and go back to America. I sat down and just laid it all out. And God listened. And God told me ‘when I’m done with you hear I’ll let you know. God spent the next several days challenging my quitter’s heart with this verse and the verse that ‘don’t be weary in well doing for in due season you shall reap if you faint not,’ and ‘seeing we have this ministry se do not lose heart,’ and a reminder about how Jonathan and is armour bearer stood back to back to face the enemy and said ‘God can save by many or by few.’

Yes, ministry can be wearying and wearing and disappointing and discouraging, but we can’t afford to quit. God has called us to a task and when I weary it is only because I am looking to and depending on my own strength. If that’s what I do I will always get weary and I will be tempted to quit. Not wearying means relying on Him and His strength.

Don’t get weary, don’t look to your own strength, we serve the All-Mighty God who never tires of helping us!

Lets look to His strength and move on.

No comments: