Wednesday 3 June 2020

Don't grieve the Spirit

Quench not the Spirit.
Despise not prophesyings. - 1 Thessalonians 5:19-20

Most of us probably know the least about the Holy Spirit that about any aspect of the Trinity. Its probably because our minds have a hard time comprehending the concept of a ‘spirit’ who is working in our lives today. The spirit notion can see kind of ethereal so we have a hard time seeing the Holy Spirit as Him instead of an it. We can’t grieve an it – but you can grieve a Him.

So how do we make the Holy Spirit sad?

Fortunately the Bible gives plenty of evidence how we make the Holy Spirit sad. There are several times when we read about it – it almost always seems to have do with our thoughts and our attitudes. The Holy Spirit is here to convict us of sin and to guide us into all truth. He comes to teach and to seal our salvation.

I think probably one of the main ways we grieve Him is by ignoring the word of God. The Holy Spirit breathed His word into holy men who then penned His word for us. When we ignore or refuse to obey His word we despise His work. When we ignore His leading we despise Him. When we refuse His comfort it grieves Him.

I never want to grieve Him, ever. It breaks my heart to think that it is possible for me to break His heart.

He has given us the word of God
He reveals my sin
He teaches me
He guides me into all truth
He in my comforter

How can I take that for granted and break His heart?

No comments: