Thursday 18 June 2020

Abounding grace

Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. – 1 Timothy 1.13-14

Paul writes about his life before he was saved, and any of us could do the same. Paul wrote I was a blasphemes and an persecutor and injurious. We could all have our own list saying things like ‘I was a liar and blasphemer with ungodly thoughts and actions. I was selfish and greedy and lustful and only cared about my flesh.’ 

Paul would still be there. I would still be there. You would still be there apart from God’s abundant, amazing, overflowing mighty grace. It was a grace that saved ‘such a worm as I.’

This notion of abundant grace is that of an overflowing grace with an endless supply. It is grace upon grace poured on top of grace and grace running over. We cannot outgrace God. We can’t use up all of His grace. He is the God of all grace.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound. Without it I would still be trapped in my sin and without it I could not get by day after day after day. That grace if full of faith and love which allowed my salvation and allows me to live day by day by day. 

No comments: