Friday 5 July 2019

When I'm 64

And even to your old age I am he;
and even to hoar hairs will I carry you:
I have made, and I will bear;
even I will carry, and will deliver you. – Isaiah 46.4

Back in January I was driving to work. I was listening to my favourite radio programme, Marty in the Morning, on RTE Lyric FM. Marty is just a few moths older than me and he decided to play and comment on the Beatles’ song ‘When I’m 64.’ I was stunned when it hit me that this is my year to be 64! At first I was kind of sad – 64?!?! I remember hearing that song as a kid and it meant nothing because 64 was, as the song says, ‘many years from now.’ But here I am. I decided that, since I couldn’t change it, I would embrace it. Now, this is the day – I am 64. I jokingly asked Mary earlier in the year ‘will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I’m 64?’ She assured me she would.

The great thing is, as we read in Isaiah, is that God is still with me – even though I am 64.

Even to your old age I am God
Even when your hair turns grey, or falls out, I will carry you
I have made you
I will bear you and carry you
I will deliver you

What a comfort that is. I am, of course, nowhere near old. But I am 64 the age where the Beatles talked about wondering if love would endure.

When it comes to God there is no doubt. His love is not limited to when we are young and vibrant. It carries on even into old age. The God who has taken care of us all through the decades is not about to stop now. He made me and He promises to bear and carry and deliver me through to the end.

No comments: