Monday 8 July 2019

Victory

But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. – 1 Corinthians 15.57

I heard an old, old story
How a Saviour came from glory
How He gave His life on Calvary to save a wretch like me
I heard about His groaning
Of His pecious blood’s atoning
Then I repented of my sins and won the victory

Oh victory in Jesus
My Saviour forever
He sought me and He bought me
With His redeeming blood
He loved me ere I knew Him
And all my love is due Him
He plunged me to victory beneath the cleansing flood.

I love that song. Its fires me up even to type it. It is inspiring and uplifting and it is the truth.

But…

But sometimes this old life does not feel like a victorious life. Sometimes I just feel beaten.  I feel like we are fighting a fight that can’t be won. It can get to the point where I may even feel like ‘why bother?’

But, on the other hand, God’s word tells me that the victory is already won. The question is whether I will believe it or not? Do I believe my own feelings or do I believe what God says?

There ought to be an abiding assurance in my heart and mind and attitude that no matter how it looks today the victory has already been accomplished. One day all of this will be worth it all. When we see the final victory over sin and death the struggles of the day will finally make sense.

No comments: