Sunday 28 July 2019

Satan's advantage

To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ; Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices. – 2 Corinthians 2.10-11

Divisions are terrible in any group or organisation. They are a sure way to defeat. A house divided itself cannot stand. A nation divided against itself cannot stand. A church divided against itself cannot stand.

I have noticed that one of the key reasons for division is an inability to forgive. Paul talks about forgiveness for some unknown offences. Paul’s solution is that he forgives them and they forgive him and that they move on from there.

Then we get to the crux of the matter.

If we don’t learn how to forgive we are in grave danger of Satan ‘gaining an advantage.’ Satan loves division. One of his devices is to divide and conquer. I have seen far too many people consumed with bitterness and anger because they are not able to forgive. The root of bitterness that wont permit forgiveness defiles many.

It is shocking that we can’t forgive when we think of what we have been forgiven from. Christ went to the cross to forgive all my sins and offences, and I can’t forgive someone who has offended me?

Brethren, these things ought not so to be.

No comments: