Tuesday 2 July 2019

By the grace of God

For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.   But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.   Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed. 1 Corinthians 15:9-11

By the grace of God. Can there be any other such profound a statement than that? Here Paul, the chiefest of sinners and the least of the apostles points out that there is hope though – that hope is the grace of God.

Where would I be but for the grace of God? How can I know? But I do know that apart from the grace of God I would not be bound for an eternity with Him.

But as I take that another direction I look back at my own life and wonder where I would be if God’s grace had not led me to Widener College and to a student Bible study in the basement of the library. What if God’s grace had not led a faculty member there to host that Bible study?

But God let all than happen. God’s grace could even use a stupid decision like diving in a shallow pool to make me who I am today. It is by his grace that I have the wife and family that I have. It is by God’s grace that we are able to serve Him in Ireland.

That means that it is His grace that puts me where I am – even the parts I may not like.

I am the man I am doing what I am doing by God’s grace. Let me revel in His grace.

No comments: