Monday 1 July 2019

Least of the apostles

For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.   But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.   Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed. 1 Corinthians 15:9-11

When we think of think of ‘the greatest Christian who ever lived’ or greatest missionary or greatest preacher most of us would have to at lease consider Paul. His passion for souls, his burden for the lost, his submission to God’s will, his willingness to suffer for Christ, and his willingness to die for Christ really set him apart.

But was does he say about himself?

I am the least of the apostles

I am not worthy to be called an apostle because I persecuted the church

Paul’s humility always stands our clearly. He certainly did not feel like he had any claim to fame.
This kind of humility is not common today. We should never be totally self-deprecating, but when it comes right down to it we are still sinners who deal with the realities of the world, the sinfulness of the flesh, and the devil as a roaring lion seeking to destroy us.
The least of the apostles – but that’s only part of the story.


No comments: