Friday 26 July 2019

Spirit of heaviness

But I determined this with myself, that I would not come again to you in heaviness. For if I make you sorry, who is he then that maketh me glad, but the same which is made sorry by me? – 2 Corninthians 2.1-2

I love this passage. If anyone had a right to be a moaner and whinger and complainer it was Paul. While he was open and honest and frank about his struggles and trials we wanted to use them to encourage, not discourage the Corinthians.

‘I determined’ Paul says, ‘not to come to you with a spirit of heaviness.’

I like this and am challenged by it. There is nothing wrong with sharing our trials and our challenges. We need to share our burdens so that others can support us and pray for us. At the same time we need to be aware of the danger of being a discouraged. We need to be careful that our honesty does not spread a spirit heaviness to those around us.

The joy of the Lord is our strength. No matter what the struggle we need to be sure that we focus on what God is doing and the joy he provides instead of dragging the whole world down into our pity party pit.

No comments: